Biometric locking / unlocking is a service that allows the Aadhaar holder to lock and temporarily unlock their biometrics. The facility aims to strengthen the privacy and confidentiality of the resident’s biometrics data. Once the Aadhaar Card Biometric Lock is installed, the fingerprint and iris data can be locked to the resident Aadhaar used for authentication. Locked Biometrics ensures that Aadhaar holders may not be able to use their biometrics (fingerprints / iris) for authentication. Therefore, if a person locks his Aadhar Biometrics using this facility, then he can keep his Biometrics data even more secure.
How to Lock /Unlock Aadhar Biometric Online?
Locking / unlocking Aadhaar biometrics is a very easy process. You have to follow the simple steps given below to lock / unlock biometrics online: –
- To lock or unlock your biometrics, click on the link below and visit the online portal of UIDAI. uidai.gov.in
- Now click on the My Aadhaar link in the menu and click on the link “Lock / Unlock Biometrics” from the Aadhaar Services section. – Direct Link
- Now a new page will open in front of you, on which some rules and conditions will be shown to you, and you have to give your consent and click on the Lock / Unlock Biometrics button by putting a check mark in the blank box.
- Now you have to enter 12-digit Aadhaar number and security code and now click on Send OTP option. Now an OTP will be sent to your mobile number registered with your Aadhaar
- Then you have to enter the 4-digit security code displayed on the page and after selecting the “Enable” option your biometrics will be locked when you click on the “Enable” option.
How to unlock your Aadhaar biometrics?
- Now to unlock Aadhaar biometrics, you have to follow the same process again and login again on the Lock / Unlock Biometrics page.
- After login, you can unlock your Aadhaar biometrics again by clicking on the Unlock button and now you can use Aadhaar anywhere.
Key Features of Aadhaar Biometric Locking
- To prevent the misuse of biometric authentication, UIDAI has made provisions through which users can prevent their biometrics from being used for authentication.
- Once you lock your Aadhaar biometrics and then until the biometrics are unlocked or disabled, authentication from the biometric method will not be possible.
- Under this service, the user’s fingerprints and iris scan data are locked when the biometric is locked.
- If you do not want to keep your biometrics locked, you can disable the biometric lock.
- To avail this facility your mobile number must be registered with Aadhaar