The Poshan Abhiyan is a multi-ministerial convergence mission to ensure the attainment of malnutrition-free India by 2022. Objective of nutrition campaign to improve utilization of major Anganwadi services and reduce stunting in identified districts of India with highest malnutrition load. Quality of Anganwadi service delivery. It aims to ensure holistic development and adequate nutrition for pregnant women, mothers and children.
The Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD) is implementing the nutrition campaign in 315 districts in the first year, 235 districts in the second year and the remaining districts in the third year.
There are several schemes that directly / indirectly affect the nutritional status of children (aged 0–6) and pregnant women and lactating mothers. Despite these, the level of malnutrition and related problems is high in the country. There is no shortage of plans but there is a lack of interconnection of plans to create synergy and achieve the common goal. Through strong convergence mechanisms and other components, the nutrition campaign will try to create synergy.
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi approved the establishment of the National Nutrition Mission (NNM) of Rs 9046.17 crore in the three-year budget starting from 2017-18.
- The Pocian campaign, as an apex body, will monitor, supervise, target and guide the nutritional interventions of ministries.
- Introducing a very strong convergence mechanism
- ICT based real time monitoring system
- Encouraging States / Union Territories to meet targets
- Encouraging Anganwadi Workers (AWWs) to use IT based tools
- Start measuring children’s height in Anganwadi Centers (AWCs)
- Establishment of Nutrition Resource Centers incorporating public participation through mass movement
- Nutrition through various activities, among others.
- It aims to reduce the level of under-nutrition and other related problems by ensuring convergence of various nutritional schemes.
- It also targets stunting, low nutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and low birth rates.
- It will monitor and review the implementation of all such schemes and will use the existing structural arrangements of line ministries wherever available.
Goal and implementation strategy
The implementation strategy will be based on ground level monitoring and convergence action plan. Potion campaign will be launched in three phases from 2017-18 to 2019-20. The nutrition campaign aims to reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and lower birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3% and 2% per year, respectively. Although the goal of reducing stunting is at least 2%. The mission will attempt to reduce stunting from 38.4% (NFHS-4) to 25% (mission 25 by 2022) by 2022.