The Central Government launched “Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana” (PMUY), a social welfare scheme led by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 1 May 2016, with the tagline of “Swachh Bharat, Better Life”.
The scheme envisages a smoke-free rural India and aims to provide concessional LPG connections to women living below the poverty line (BPL) to five crore families across the country by the end of 2019. This scheme will increase the use of LPG and help in reducing health.
Salient features of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana will provide 5 crore LPG connections to BPL families with a financial support of Rs 1,600 crore.
- Connections will be issued in the name of women beneficiaries.
- EMI facility is also being provided for stove and refill costs.
- Promoting women empowerment
- Providing fuel for a healthy cooking
- This plan is highly necessary to prevent health issues among millions of rural population due to the use of fossil fuels.
PMUY eligibility criteria
- The applicant’s house should not already have LPG connection.
- The applicant must be over 18 years of age.
- The applicant must be a rural resident carrying a BPL card.
- The woman applicant must have a savings bank account in any nationalized bank across the country to receive the subsidy amount.
PMUY required documents
- BPL Ration Card
- A photo identity card (Aadhaar card or voter ID card)
- A recent passport size photograph
- Basic details like name, contact details, Jan Dhan / Bank account number, Aadhar card number etc.
Form to apply
The application form for the beneficiaries is available by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas. Applicants can download the form in their required languages