India’s rich cultural, historical, religious and natural heritage provides a huge potential for development of tourism and employment generation in the country. There is a lot of scope and need to develop tourist circuits on specific topics to attract tourists with special interest to visit such places. This can only be achieved through an integrated approach by providing attractive experiences for different categories of tourists i.e. domestic and international. Various topics that are unique and specific to the region may include beaches, culture, heritage, wildlife, etc. Such a theme-based tourism circuit provides employment and social integration without involving environmental concerns and proposals that support communities. Unique experience for tourists.
Swadesh Darshan Yojana has been appointed to align with other schemes of the Government of India like Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, Kaushal Bharat, Make in India, etc., in which key areas for employment generation, driving force for economic development, building synergy The status of the tourism sector has been considered. To enable tourism with various regions to realize its potential.
The duration of the Swadesh Darshan Scheme is the term of the 14th Finance Commission i.e. March 2020.
Objectives of home country
- Positioning tourism as a major engine of economic growth and job creation
- Develop tourist potential circuits in a planned and prioritized manner
- Promoting the cultural and heritage value of the country to generate livelihood in identified areas
- Permanently enhancing tourist attractions by developing world class infrastructure in circuits / destinations
- Follow community based development and pro-poor tourism approach
- Creating awareness among local communities about the importance of tourism for them in the context of increasing sources of income, better living standards and overall development of the region
- Generating employment through active participation of local communities
- Harness tourism potential for its effects in employment generation and economic development.
- Make full use of the potential and benefits based on available infrastructure, national culture and specific strong points of each region across the country.
- Development of tourist facilitation services to enhance visitor experience / satisfaction
Key features of Swadesh Darshan
The scheme was fully funded by the central government. There are 13 cities that are considering development. These 13 cities are all pilgrimage sites.
There are 13 tourist circuits that have been proposed and started under the scheme. There are several cities under these 13 circuits and sites are added for visitors to go there and enjoy their vacation.
The scheme is a joint venture between the Union Government and the Ministry of Tourism. By launching the scheme, the two ministries will be able to develop the heritage cities of the nation and preserve them for tourists around the world.
Definition of Tourist Circuit
- The tourist circuit is defined as a route with at least three major tourist destinations that are separate and distinct. The circuit must have well-defined entry and exit points. A tourist who enters must be motivated to visit most of the places identified in the circuit.
- A circuit may be limited to one state or may be a regional circuit covering more than one state / union territory. These circuits may have one major subject and other subtopics.
- The projects under the scheme will be under the following identified themes; Eco-tourism, Wildlife, Buddhist, Desert, Spiritual, Ramayana, Krishna, Coastal, Northeast, Rural, Himalayan, Tribal and Heritage.