History of the Target Olympic Podium Plan
In the 2016 (Rio) and 2020 (Tokyo) Olympics, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports (MYAS) established the target Olympic podium scheme (TOPS or TOP scheme) in September 2014 to realize the dream of India’s Olympic medal. The purpose of this scheme, a committee (TOPS Elite Elitelet ‘Identification Committee) was formed to identify the elite athletes, which could achieve the Olympic podium. Youth Affairs and Sports Ministry is responsible for the appointment of TOPS members with ensuring the representation of sports of high-priority (archery, badminton, boxing hockey, shooting and wrestling). The total members of the committee have to be decided by MYAS. TOPS does not determine the minimum / maximum members for the constitution committee. The first committee was constituted under the chairmanship of Shri Anurag Thakur (MP) and included the Indian Athletics Authority (SAI) and the prestigious athlete of MYAS [DG] (Pullela Gopichand, Rahul Dravid, Abhinav Bindra, and Manisha Malhotra) and Sports Administrator Were.
Target Olympic Podium Plan Success
TOPS sponsored athletes achieved relative success in the 2016 Rio Olympics and 2018 Commonwealth Games. PV Sindhu and Sakshi Malik captured silver and bronze in badminton and wrestling respectively at the 2016 Rio Olympics. In 2016 Paralympic Games, TOPS athletes won 2 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze and demonstrated efficacy of this plan. Recent success of the Commonwealth Games emphasized the effectiveness of the plan. Of the 70 athletes who won medals at the CWG, 47 were supported under the TOP scheme.
Mission Olympic Cell (MOC)
Mission Olympic cell is a dedicated organization, which is designed to assist athletes who have been selected under the TOP scheme. MOC is headed by Director General, Sports Authority (DG, SAI). In the meeting of the committee, representatives from other National Sports Federations (NSF) and SAI’s project officers are also included in the meeting. MOC has to debate, discuss and decide on procedures and methods so that the athlete gets the best support. MOC also focuses on the selection, exclusion and retention of athletes, trainers, training institutes, which can get TOPS assistance, some of which are attached below the MOC –
- Sanction of approved programs for selected athletes under the top plan.
- Recommend financial disbursements for customized programs.
- According to training programs, support, monitoring and review of the progress of athletes.
- Setting up a regular reporting structure on athletes’ training program.
- Decision on the sudden and unexpected needs of athletes
- To communicate regularly with athletes on your progress, needs and perspectives
- Engaging implementation partners to do / perform any of the above or all of the above tasks.
- Ensuring documentation / contractual obligations of the beneficiaries.
- Providing sponsor / commercial partner / media commitment under NSDF TOP scheme
Target Olympic Podium Scheme For Assistance
The main purpose of the plan is to provide additional incentives on the plan which is planned under the annual calendar of athlete preparation, training and competition (ACTC). Selected athletes may seek assistance under the scheme for the following: –
- Customized training under prestigious coaches in world-class facilities.
- Participate in international competition.
- Purchase of equipment.
- Services of support staff / personnel such as physical staff, sports psychologist, mental trainer and physiotherapist etc.
- No other support for sports discipline.
- Out-of-Pocket Allowance of Rs.50000 / – (Rupees fifty thousand only) As an incentive to the athletes for one month
Source for More Info : sportsauthorityofindia.nic.in